“Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and all that night the Lord drove the sea back with a strong east wind and turned it into dry land. The waters were divided, and the Israelites went through the sea on dry ground,with a wall of water on their right and on their left.” Exodus 14:21-22 (NIV)
Maybe you are like me, hearing this story since your childhood. And maybe like me you have always been impressed with how God set this up and then provided so miraculously. But thanks to a devotional thought from Louie Giglio, I was able to put an even greater “parting” with this one.
Matthew 27:50-51 reads: “Then Jesus shouted out again, dismissed his spirit, and died. Look! The curtain secluding the Holiest Place in the Temple was parted, split from top to bottom…” (SEV)
It’s important to understand that the veil was not a small curtain. It was was 60 feet long, 30 feet wide, and was about one inch thick. The veil was so massive and heavy that it took 300 priests to manipulate it. The fact that the veil was torn from the top down, some 60 feet from the floor (where humans could not reach it), shows that God was the One that caused the parting of the veil – torn from top to bottom. Why? So that we could have safe access to Him.
- Moses stretched forth his arms over the sea to begin the act of salvation for the Israelites – Jesus stretched out his arms on the cross to start the act of our salvation.
- A path was opened by God for the Israelites – A path was provided for us through the curtain.
- The Israelites crossed on dry land to safety because of the Sea parting – We get to cross into the safety of the Holy of Holies because of the curtain parting.
- The enemy of Israel was defeated once and for all by the Sea – Our enemy Satan was defeated once and for all by allowing us access to God.
- The waters were walled up on either side keeping them from destroying the Israelites – The curtain was torn to wall up our sin keeping it from destroying us.
As Louie Giglio wrote:
Louie Giglio:The Bright Light of Glory